Sunday, May 8, 2011

The story behind a Phoenix



A phoenix, in my opinion, whether myth or true, is one of the most beautiful creatures to have been depicted in this world. A Phoenix is a sacred firebird with a vibrant plumage of gold and scarlet feathers. It lives to 500-1000 years, and when it's ready to die it builds itself a nest of twigs and burns fiercely to its demise. From its  ashes, however, a new baby phoenix arises, destined to live as long as its old self. 


A phoenix, in other words, depicts rebirth and renewal - things that we as humans long for more in life. We value this bird's ability to let go of its past and renew itself as it enters the future. We tell ourselves that we're reborn from our mistakes and failures, that poor decisions help us better ourselves as we face a new tomorrow. However, we forget that a phoenix's lifespan is only as good as its previous owner. The past, in other words, inevitably becomes the bird's future. The only difference lies in how the phoenix chooses to live in that same timeframe. 


I decided to create a blog under the name One Phoenix to see how I can renew myself this summer, without having to let go of my past. I've always thought the two were mutually exclusive. I'll be flying to South Korea for two weeks, before I come back to the scorching sun in Houston, TX to work. I want to pen down my thoughts, encounters and epiphanies that arise from my experiences. I want to discover myself spiritually, professionally and emotionally. Till I have something else to share... 

No comments:

Post a Comment