Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My feet hurt from the heels

Today was my first day of work. Mostly training and orientation stuff - nothing too much to fear... until I got into the meeting and took a mental note of all the business and software terminology I was completely oblivious to. I was recommended two books to read that would keep me up to date with what all of this jargon meant (mental note to self: I'm going to challenge myself through this - I'm going to be the best student there and study everything well so I become the boss of the subject matter). This is why in movies you have confused people buying [Blank] for Dummies. I was this close to google Pricing for Dummies. Advice I gave to myself was -> take Accounting next semester.

My mentor informed me I was going to start on a project tomorrow.
"How familiar are you with excel?" he asked.
"I'm quite competent," I replied.
"Do you know *&(#*~@$?" he asked.
"I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm familiar with that one. 
"Do you know !*#&$^#@?" 
"Nope." 
"&$#!~*@?
"Nope." 
(Mental note #2: study excel)

3 o'clock hit already and by then everybody went to meetings. I stayed in my cubicle - first VERY hesitant to assist people for help I kinda did my own thing. Set up my own computer, account, checked email, logged in hours - all of that logistical stuff. I was sitting in a pool of older gentleman typing away on their computers with very focused, serious faces. All the more somewhat casually dressed folks were way down the hall. So I didn't want to come across as a bored child. I read a few pages of the recommended readings, made a to-do list -- including setting up an interview, lunch to discuss what our expectations are, etc. But I just couldn't help but feel like asking my mentors all these scheduling questions would have been bad timing. I'm trying to go with the flow- and today's flow was just "I'm busy." Everybody seems really nice and super chill tho so I'm excited about that. I can't wait to start the project tomorrow.

Challenges I faced today --- definitely not having much to do in the hours of 3-5, being asked mathematical questions in our training sessions.
Risks I took today --- talked to some intern-strangers, ask unfamiliar workers in my department whether they needed help, definitely taking initiative, not being hesitant to contribute in a meeting.
Looking forward to --- the project tomorrow, getting to sit down with my mentors to discuss our exceptions, getting to know more about the company, getting to know the interns, setting a high standard.

I AM SUPER TIRED. Been up for 18 hours and is not even 10. Good night and can't wait for what lies ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment